Do you pick up after your own trash?

Monday, February 25, 2008

Emulsion

It had been raining the night before. Good thing it seems there’d be none left today.

“I told you it was going to rain,” she tells him, a grin spreading across her face. He only smiled at this. “A self-proclaimed weather girl.” She all of a sudden went serious and started to stare at the rain. He really could never understand her. “What? Did I upset you? I was just teasing . . .” She turned back to him and smiled. “Yeah, I know.” “Why the sad face? You love rain.”


The weather has always amused her. It seems when it’s raining she doesn’t need a reason to go out.

“What took you so long?” Her voice barely audible as the pouring began to gain force. He took a deep breath and sighed. “I don’t know.” She looked away again. She took a stick from her black cigarette case and tried to find amusement as the smoke tries to join the rain. He just looked at her, knowing more words would not help. He poured himself another shot of brandy and chased it down with Coke. “Where’d Mandy go?” he tried, hoping to divert her thoughts. “Went to get Ron.” “Can he not come here himself?” “I don’t know. Says he’s running a fever.” “Mandy deserves someone better.” “Don’t say that. You’re friends. And besides I don’t think she minds. She likes rain too.”

The traffic is the only thing she didn’t like at times like this. Everything seems to move in a much slower pace.

Five shots he was starting to feel himself warming. “How was your trip?” she asked, hesitantly. “It was great. I didn’t hear any complains.” He saw her let out an almost laugh, the kind which only lasts a second or two and only noticeable because her abdomen moved. He did the same. “Come on, let me in on the joke,” he pleaded, touching her elbow lightly. “Let it go. It won’t be the same if I explain it,” she said, smiling. As he was about to back down, she added, “So tell me, what didn’t you hear?” She was grinning again.

She notices the orange car to the left of the jeepney she was on. Already five minutes and they only moved fifty meters.

“Another month and we’ll have to get back,” he said, trying to start a real conversation. “Can I come?” She was beginning to have her lightness back. He only smiled. “What? Come on, tell me, can I?” Before he can even reply, she went on, “For a change, you know. After a while, you might get tired of your guys’ faces. You need variety. Come on, tell your girls to relax some.” He was still thinking on what to say . . . “I’ll buy you a beer each night, come on!” She was now facing him, locking his eyes to hers, one hand on each of his knees, shaking them lightly. “You serious?”

It begins to drizzle. She smiles.

His phone rang. Relieved, he excused himself.

No comments: